Here are the top 5 highlights from my garden this past week!
1. The vegetable patch was looking very tired with a lot of over grown plants and weeds starting to take over. It has taken a few weekends of hard work, but it is rewarding to see it looking ‘top notch’ again. All of the summer season vegetables have been pulled out and replaced, the flower beds have been pruned and the weeds pulled. I will post another blog on what I have planted out in the patch soon.
2. It has been a few months since I have updated you all on my giant pumpkins. Unfortunately, they are not as big as last years crop. They have struggled due to the dry summer and with very little rain and inconsistent weather it hasn’t allowed enough time for them to grow. But I am going to give them another 2 weeks before I harvest them, hopefully they grow a bit more in that time.
3. Over the weekend I felt a bit creative and decided to recycle an old hollowed out tree branch. I planted it up with a selection of different coloured succulents. Then I added a layer of live moss to hold the succulent in place and to give it a rustic look.
4. We have home-grown potatoes!! It is exciting to go out to the patch and dig up some homegrown potatoes after months of watching them grow. If you are thinking of growing your own potatoes, it is very easy. You will notice that your local nurseries will start stocking your seed potatoes in the next month. I will have a ‘How to grow Potatoes’ blog post coming soon!
5. You maybe looking at this photo and thinking to yourself, that doesn’t look like it’s from my garden… And you would be correct to think that. This is a photo from my recent short holiday to Cairns. I managed to go snorkeling along the Great Barrier Reef and it was an amazing experience. I will have more photos coming up in the next few days!
By Bonnie-Marie Hibbs