Here are my top 5 highlights for the past week!
1. My beetroots are finally ready to harvest! After a few months of waiting, they have rewarded me with such beautiful produce. I can not wait to bottle these guys!
2. The cherry blossoms trees are still in full bloom in my garden. My weeping cherry trees have started to flower for the first time, since planting them. Once they have finished flowering, I will be giving them a healthy prune. This will encourage a stronger branching network and more flowers for next year.
3. The Iris bulbs are producing lots of flowers compared to what they have done in previous years. The colour on these are a brilliant royal blue, which look great planted under my Cercis canadensis ‘Forest Pansy’ trees.
4. This is the first rose bud that is starting to emerge on my roses. I am looking forward to the spring weather when all my spring and summer flowers will start to blossom, especially all of my roses.
5. My last highlight for the week is my chooks! They have been having a blast in the garden lately, they get about 6 hours a day to run freely around the property, before they are put into bed. Also due to the nicer weather the girls have been laying eggs everyday. Slowly the collection of eggs I have been gathering has started to increase. It is at the point there is so many eggs, I am not using them fast enough. I might have to start baking a few cakes and start eating bacon and eggs for breakfast.
By Bonnie-Marie Hibbs